1. What age do you feel right now and why?
I feel like in my 20th – Plenty of energy and positive
2. Which book are you reading now?
Currently I read 2 books in English just with the idea to improve my English skills. The first is A Year in the Merde by Stephen Clarke and then The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.
3. What are your top 3 favourite books and why?
I like very much Bohumil Hrabal because in one sentence he has about 10 stories about life and it is very Czech. I really love also everything from Jaroslav Seifert. His poems are really impressive, and very Czech as well.
4. What is your definition of elegance?
Something clean, not too exaggerated, simple and with nice details as I do with my pralines.
5. What are you the most passionate about?
About life and nice experience life brings. As well about my relations with my family and friends.
6. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why?
I really like Europe, and I haven’t seen all about Europe. I like Europe, its culture and I see this would be the destination. I love the sea, so Italy could be the destination.
7. If you could only keep 3 possessions, what would they be?
My phone because it is my connection with others, the key of my house because I forget them every day and this is true for my phone too… and my glasses.
8. What is your philosophy towards your work, or role, or life?
I try to do thing with honesty at work and at home. And not to be everywhere and not to try to do everything but to know what to chose and to focus on it.
9. What do you worry about, and why?
Like everybody about death in the way that you lose friends, family and then I would stay alone. So definitely to be alone is my main worry, it is sad to remain alone.
10. Who has inspired you in your life and why?
Several known Chocolatier masters had inspired me. And I think many people from Western Europe, because due to the communism, we didn’t have much to develop interesting life style and trends, or simply we couldn’t do anything to develop them.
11. What was one of your most crucial moments in life?
Out of business, I am sure that this is my kid births. Then, related to business, when we decided to start a café, one evening we were preparing our café project checking forums on internet. And then we found that people were complaining why in Prague there is no Chocolatery, one was in Brno, one Bratislava, in Poland and Austria exist some but not in Prague. From that moment we changed our plan and decided to make the first Chocolatery in Prague even if I was not a sweet eater.
12. If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be?
Of course, I will be pleased to see how my children successful and happy in their lives. But I think this could also be the moment when we open this Café 2 years ago, because at that moment I started to see the future and the potential of this place I love.
13. What are the 3 things you need, to be successful in your job, or role?
High quality in my business about sweets, pralines is mandatory. Then good employees, without them high quality is difficult to reach and maintain. And the last one is cash flow. Mainly when you start a business, to stress about cash flow doesn’t help to focus on your job. After 9 years of operation, we are on the safe side, but still I think cash flow is key.
14. Is there a skill you would like to learn and why?
I would like to learn more languages like English (to improve) and maybe Italian. I need those languages for my job. Because I could use them to get more inspiration from abroad, and also to better communicate with suppliers.
15. What is the best piece of advice you’ve received?
The General Manager of an Italian major chocolate producer gave me many advises and one major was ‘don’t wait and buy a big chocolate production machine and don’t worry about the money, because the return will be quick as the production is the base of your business’ – So I stopped to worry about the investment value, managed to get the financing and we bought that big machine. No regret today, because without her advices my production would be different as it is today.
16. What does a perfect day look like to you?
To run with my friend to work, to have a coffee and cake, she goes to her work, this we do it sometime twice a week. To stop to work at 15h max to go home, this is the perfect day and unfortunately not every day. After to take my dog for a walk, meet my friends at a small pub on the riverside and enjoy the evening before going home.
17. What cheers you up?
Nice talking with my friends.
18. How do you define success and how do you measure it?
Success for my business is to reach and keep the high quality and you could measure this when people feedback is positive about the experience they have here in our café, or when the place is full and at the entrance there is a queue of people who would like to enter…
19. What part of your job would people find most surprising?
It would be when I do chocolate production from beans to bars, because they won’t see it anywhere else in Prague.
20. What do you do when you’re feeling uninspired?
To listen to the questions and ideas of my new employee gives me always news inspirations like a new start. She makes pralines, she is very positive, loves her job, has a lot of energy which in a way push me to be inspired.
21. In which order (most important 1st) would you classify these 4 A-words: Accuracy, Acceptance, Achievement and Appreciation
Accuracy – Achievement – Acceptance and Appreciation
22. How would you define leadership?
To have the exact idea of what you want as leader and to know how to explain it to others. Also, to feel what people need, to listen to them and understand their needs, still keeping some rules.